Re: Resumes and SMEs, Years v. Years'

Subject: Re: Resumes and SMEs, Years v. Years'
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 06:40:56 -0500

Kevin --

> For those who sided with me by contending that there is an implied "of" --
> "years of experience" -- I still like our argument, but think that we've
> been effectively shot down in flames. Thanks anyway!

In a minute people are going to be saying, "Enough already!" and I will shut
up about this, but I just want to emphasize that actually the apostrophe
*does* imply a possessive "of" -- though the phrase replaced is not:

"[#] years of (belonging to) experience"

but rather:

"the experience of [#] years."

Just the way (as I pointed out in an earlier message) "three days' work"=
"the work of three days," and so on.

--So you were on the right track!

cheers

Joanna

C. Joanna Sheldon, Ph.D. * GRAPHTECH Consulting
Graphics & Technical Writing

PO Box 4874, Ithaca NY 14852 USA
V: +1 607 533 8850 * F: +1 607 533 9092

cjs10 -at- cornell -dot- edu