Re: Resumes and SMEs, Years v. Years'

Subject: Re: Resumes and SMEs, Years v. Years'
From: cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:22:42 -0500

Melissa & Kevin

You're bringing up an old form which still holds: Two years' experience;
a week's time, an hour's wait, three days' work...

The Chicago Manual of style (among
others) will explain that this is not your garden-variety possessive;
it's based on the genitive case (yeah, English used to have one) which is
the case that governs belonging, or possession.

Joanna