Re: Typoz in Resumes

Subject: Re: Typoz in Resumes
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:33:46 PST

Susan Gallagher writes:

>Now, most of us work without the support of editors, proofreaders,
>word processors or dtp experts, and graphic artists. Many of us work
>without the support of other writers -- lone writers awash in a sea
>of techies who wouldn't know a comma splice if they tripped over it.
>We really *do* need to be able to do it all.

But remember this critical difference. Writers have to work with the
tools, procedures, and coworkers provided by management. Management,
on the other hand, gets to determine what this environment will be.

A manager with more than one writer on staff has the luxury of having
the writers edit each other's work. Anyone who has tried this knows
that more errors are found this way than when the writers attempt to
edit their own work. Thus, I see no value in requiring perfect self-editing.
The company's procedures should be such that this skill has no value,
since self-editing should never be relied upon in the first place.

Management should never look for extraordinary credentials to solve problems
that can be dealt with through simple procedures.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139