Re: Punctuation in vertical lists?

Subject: Re: Punctuation in vertical lists?
From: KLShaw <KLShaw -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:02:17 -0800

Jennifer Masek wrote:

<< We're having some rather heated discussions around here regarding the
appropriate punctuation for ... vertical lists. ... We're looking most
especially at:
* Bullet lists...>>

If the bullet items aren't complete sentences, I use no punctuation. If
the items are complete sentences, I use periods. If a client dislikes
my minimalist approach, I use semicolons and a terminal period. I
always capitalize the first word of each item.

<< * Unmarked vertical lists...>>

I don't use them -- I think lists should be bulleted or numbered.

<< *Terminations of bullet lists (Period here?) >>

Only if the list is punctuated.

<< ...Can one use [lists] to complete a phrase? >>

I don't know if one can, but _I_ do :)) I like this construction to
help sort out long, complex sentences that can't be divided or otherwise
rewritten. In this case, I'd punctuate the list with semicolons and use
a terminal period.

Regards,

Kim Shaw
Words & Graphics Inc.