Re: SME Flee, We Tree He

Subject: Re: SME Flee, We Tree He
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:30:01 -0600

Robert Plamondon wrote:

> Melissa writes:
>
> >Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do when you're
> >faced with a difficult SME situation?
>
> In any properly networked company, you open up the design files from
> the comfort of your own workstation, and answer the questions directly.

Given the relation of "design document" to "finished product" that I've
observed, this might be a rather risky approach. :)

> If that doesn't work, you make an appointment with the SME.

In my opinion, that's the first thing you do.

> In some situations, threatening to grandstand will work. "If I don't
> get an answer today, I'm going to literally camp out in your office.
> I've got a cot, a sleeping bag, and a big cooler full of food all ready
> to go."
<snip>
> If that doesn't work, I recommend standing up at a project meeting and
> saying, "I still can't get crucial information. I'm going to recommend
> that I be reassigned, and that the documentation for this project be

Just out of curiousity, how many of these approaches (from the rather
odd "camping out" threat to the job-threatening "reassign me"
suggestion) have you actually tried? They seem like rather drastic
alternatives to establishing good communication early in the project.

Curiously,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019