Period before File Extensions

Subject: Period before File Extensions
From: "Melinda M. Carr" <melindac -at- CAPSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:41:37 -0800

I write for a software company and frequently I need to refer to a file
type (for example, DOT or HFT). I think it is clearest when the period
that separates the file extension from the eight character name is
included in the sentence (for example, .DOT or .HFT).

My question is, how do you read this out loud? This is important because
it determines which indefinite article to use.

For example, if I say "aitch eff tee" then I would say "an aitch eff tee
file." If I say "dot aitch eff tee" or then I would say "a dot aitch eff
tee file."

This is a little problem I know, but since no one is confident how it
should be, it shows up both ways in the documentation. (And sometimes
the period just gets dropped to eliminate the issue.)

How have other software writers handled this issue. How would you prefer
to see it as a reader?

Thanks.

Melinda Carr
Capsoft Development