Nontraditional networking

Subject: Nontraditional networking
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:37:24 -0600

Based on a recent experience, I can heartily recommend
another form of networking: send a message to the list when
you're planning to travel away from your home turf, and see
if anyone wants to meet you for lunch. For example, I
vacationed last year in Ireland, and managed to meet three
really nice people for dinner; several others wrote to me
after I got back home, apologizing for being unavailable
when I was in Ireland, or for getting my message after I'd
already left. One of the people I met (hiya, Lucille!)
remains an e-mail penpal almost a year later. I haven't
gone looking for a job in Ireland, but if I did, I've got
contacts there now. More importantly, I've got a new
friend.

For doubting Thomases: You can see us on the Web by doing
an Alta Vista/Excite/etc. search on "copyediting family
album" and "Matthew Stevens", who's hosting the list
(sorry, the URL is on my home computer); said album is a
dozen or so snapshots of various members of the
copyediting-l group, alone or gathered for various
occasions such as lunches. Anyone interested in hosting a
comparable album for techwr-l members?