Re: Capturing OS/2 screen?

Subject: Re: Capturing OS/2 screen?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:47:34 -0800

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997 09:27:28 EST, Bill Downing wrote:

>I'm working on a project where it would be nice to capture the OS/2
>Warp desktop as a BMP or other image file. I know nada about OS/2
>screen cap functions (Alt-Printscreen did nothing). Is there some
>native screen cap utility built into Warp, like a keystroke
>combination? Or is there easliy obtainable shareware out there that
>will work on OS/2 Warp and do what I need?

There is no such built-in function (well, not as such: you can create a
printer object, set it to print-to-file, and set it as the default
printer, and hitting PrintScreen will dump to it) but there are plenty
of add-ons and utilities to let you do it. Shareware and freeware
graphics apps such as PMView (my personal favorite), PMJPEG, JView, PM
Camera, and others, not only have a full-screen capture function, but
can also capture a selected window, the contents of a window, or a
selected area of the screen (PMView provides a nice screen-wide
crosshair for doing this), as well as time-delay captures. There's
also a commercial product called PrntScrn that will let you capture the
same way as in Windows (Alt-PrntScrn).

Most of these can be found at all the standard OS/2 shareware sites;
the most common is hobbes.nmsu.edu; look in the directory
/os2/graphics.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>