Smooth scaling of bitmaps

Subject: Smooth scaling of bitmaps
From: AMJ Cornellier <Cornellier -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:25:58 UT

re: the correspondence about scaling bitmap images (e.g., screenshots) without
destroying their quality.
1) Please do correct me if I'm wrong Mr Jasc, but bmp resizing is the (an?)
achilles gonad of the otherwise superb PSP.
2) The only way I've found around this can o' worms is to use a graphics prog
which constrains file size while adjusting image size. Check with your local
geek or write me private for advice.
3) Or go low-budget & resize your screen before pressing ALT +PrintScreen to
capture the "window with focus" in your Clipboard.
4) Screenshots in HLP files can be more trouble than they're worth. Consider
that users may use laptops, meaning that screen resolution is so low that your
screenshot must take up the whole screen to make any sense. Also the screen
shot will be distorted by the user's system's resolution, e.g. 1024 x 768 is
not the same proportion as 800 x 600.
5) Screenshots & graphics use up trees and pixels. Why reinvent the wheel, or
at least the thing that's already displayed on the screen?
John Cornellier, Paris