Re: "Why haven't I heard of you?" (was Resum

Subject: Re: "Why haven't I heard of you?" (was Resum
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:41:08 +0000

On 20 Feb 97 at 18:03, Paula Puffer wrote:

> >Also, most of the
> >local chapter's meetings are during the lunch hour, on the other
> >side of town, not convenient for me.
>
> This is a problem for me as well as a graduate student. Most of the
> meetings are held on nights when I have classes. Sometimes my
> professors let us out, most times they don't.

Attending meetings once per month is a problem, but many STC chapters
also have PICs/SIGs that meet during the month in smaller groups.
There are always competitions that need judges, newsletters that need
help, conferences that need volunteers, etc. Don't depend on only
the large meeting, but also don't discount the benefits of STC
membership. Most of us have job banks and a convenient network of
writers to help you. Like anything else, though, you need to "give" a
little, too. Volunteer your services and attend meetings where you
can.

Another alternative for students is to attend student chapter
meetings. If your school doesn't have a student chapter, but it does
have a TW program, you might consider starting one. The national
office of STC would be the place to start.

Jane Bergen
"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com