Re[2]: Resume Scrn. Comments & Question

Subject: Re[2]: Resume Scrn. Comments & Question
From: Don Smith <dsmith -at- ACCESSBEYOND -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:09:02 EST

This thread on Resumes, interviewing and "being a Joiner, etc.." has
been most interesting and I believe very helpful to most of us.
Perhaps most helpful to the newer writer on this list.

Comment: (Re-"Where do you expect to be in 5 years?")

This seems to imply that you must be a "highly aggressive" person who
is "upward mobile", out to concore the world. Why? Does this mean that
a Technical Writer who likes what he/she does and does not want to
become management, go from job to job or considers money as the only
career goal, as someone inferior.

I *like* what I do! I have been Publications Department Manager
(elsewhere), I have been General Manager of a company (also,
elsewhere). I like what I do now, which is writing technical
electronics manuals, articles, books, etc.. I *don't want to be upward
mobile". Is there something wrong with this? Does this make me a less
desirable Technical Writer? (I know, I use caps for TW.) IF so, why?

How do you say this to the interview who expects you to say you will
have their job in 5 years?

Thanks for the soapbox.

MOO

Don Smith