Subject: Summary: How it all began
From: Chris Betterton <chrisb -at- CONTEXT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:10:00 +0000

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for details of how people got
started in TW.

I get the impressions that, in North America at least, more people have TW
related qualifications than don't. Even if they didn't take a first degree
in TW, they had often gone back to school to do a related course. This seems
to be the opposite situation to Europe, where people have mainly fallen into
TW - it wasn't a conscious decision at the time (although staying in
generally was).

ItÉs probably not a radically new observation, but TW seems to be more of a
recognised career in North America than Europe. I know that, in the UK at
least, there are only a couple of places that offer a degree course. It
seems to be more common to be working in some field of technology and find
yourself having to write documentation for it.

BTW I like the resume thread - loads of useful info. Are they any European
(especially UK) TW managers out there who want to contribute their 2p?

Chris

Chris Betterton
Documentation Writer
Context Limited
email: chrisb -at- context -dot- co -dot- uk web: www.justis.com
Phone: +44 (0)171 267 8989 Fax: +44 (0)171 267 1133