Re: Intern advice

Subject: Re: Intern advice
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:45:58 -0800

I wrote:
>>Sorry, Guy. I have to agree with Heather and Eric. AAMOF, I often discard
>>resumes that show a history of working for large companies only.

And Lorelle Mennel answered:
>Whoa! What a gross generalization. I worked for an "Amalgamated
>Conglomerate" ... The last five years ...
>constant downsizing and reorganizing...
>high-quality work...invaluable experience,
>and I think I'd be suited for any size of company because of it.

Yup. Yer right. Gross generalization. Totally unfair. Personal bias
based on experience with absolutely no basis in fact. However, when
faced with a 6-inch stack of resumes and a tight deadline to boot,
it's one of the criteria I use to eliminate candidates. I can do
that because I'm the boss. ;-)

Maybe I miss you and one or two others like you, and that's too bad.
But I quickly narrow my search down to those candidates that I can
reasonably expect to meet my criteria (that "turn on a dime" stuff).
I can't afford to interview everyone on the off chance that I'll run
into you.

I also tend to "ding" you if you've worked in the same place for more
than 5 years -- not necessarily because I think you lack ambition --
although I must admit that's in the back of my mind -- but because I
honestly don't think you'd be comfortable enough to concentrate on
*work* in a venture-funded company with a "make it or break it in
two years" time line.

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com