Re: New furniture

Subject: Re: New furniture
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:00:31 PST

Some things to look for are:

* A color that isn't blinding white.

* Computer tables with great big holes near the back to snake cables
through, and a shelf below on which to hide external disk drives and
other stuff you don't need access to.

* A layout by which all boxes with cooling fans are muffled by being
put underneath a tabletop or around the corner of a piece of furniture.

* No glare anywhere. Turn off all the overhead fluourescent tubes. Don't
put your monitor in front of or behind a window. Windows to the sides
are better.

* Adjustable height for the keyboard and mouse is very helpful. Many
keyboard drawers still don't hold a full-sized keyboard and a mouse
pad, forcing users to do a Quasimodo imitation with their mouse
on the tabletop or in a desk drawer. Don't do this.

* Great big tables and desks are very useful when dealing with multiple
projects or large projects. Your computer table should be at least
as wide as your desk -- five feet. I have a six foot by three foot
desk and a five foot by two foot computer table. The desk is fine,
but the computer table is too small.

* While I'm at it, let me put in my perennial plug for high-quality 20"
monitors, IBM keyboards, and optical mice. I have two big monitors
on my SPARCstation.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139