Re: Question ref resumes and cover letters

Subject: Re: Question ref resumes and cover letters
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:18:35 -0800

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:05:05 -0600, White, Lisa wrote:

>I've been reading the thread on resumes and noticed that most have said to
>include a cover letter. In this day an age a lot of things are done over
>the Internet and through recruiters.
>
> Well I have a question, what if you are forwarding your resume to a
>recruiter and you sent a cover letter describing why they should find you a
>job, and they turn around and forward it to their client?
>
>This is not the cover letter you wanted the client to receive, it was meant
>strictly for the recruiter, what do you do then?

They have no business forwarding ANYthing directly to the client
without your permission, especially something not intended for the
client, unless they've already told you that's how they work. I signed
up with one head-hunter agency something like a year and a half ago and
only got one reference from them that didn't pan out anyway... but a
year later when they wanted to send someone else my resume, they still
called me to make sure it was okay to pass on my info (and to get an
updated resume).

As devious as it may seem, my thinking in such a situation would be to
thank the recruiter for their time, and approach the client directly
(after all, if you just wanted to the client to have your cover letter
and resume, you could have gone the direct route in the first place).
If they're not going to hold to the rules of the game, I see little
reason you should if doing so eliminates you from that job prospect.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>