Re: 'Splain me somethin... (was Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?)

Subject: Re: 'Splain me somethin... (was Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?)
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 07:22:25 -0600

Bob Morrisette wrote:

> A writer with experience in most cases cannot list all qualifications on
> one page.
>
> A well written resume along with a cover letter custom written for the position
> being applied for is the most effective package. I always use real paper
> and the US Mail. E-mailed or faxed resumes look crappy and should only be
> used in emergencies. Remember, a resume is likely to be passed around
> to many people, including your future peers.

I respectfully disagree. When I'm looking, I create a different resume
for each opportunity and tailor that resume to the opportunity. All
other extraneous information is left out, so I usually don't have a
problem with one page. I haven't had anyone tell me I didn't include
enough information and I've rarely missed a call back on a job I thought
I was well-qualified for.

With regard to e-mail or fax, I use it if the ad includes the e-mail
address or fax number. If the employer doesn't want e-mail or fax, they
won't put the e-mail address or fax number in the ad. These methods get
the information there more quickly. My phone number and e-mail are on
the resume and people have called me and asked to me send cleaner copies
via snail mail. In talking to a lot of people in my last job search, no
one seemed to have a problem with this.

If I mail a resume, I always include two versions, one for looking
pretty and one for scanning. I explain this in my cover letter, too.
After all, you can't do a whole lot of nice layout on a resume intended
for scanning, and the nice layout is part of what I'm evaluated on.

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

"Try? Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda