Re: html resume (long)

Subject: Re: html resume (long)
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:45:45 -0500

Recently a list subscriber asked if anyone was using an
html-coded resume. Since I have such a resume, I replied and
THEN got to thinking about the dangers of this format.

The chief dangers:
1. the <!-- comment --> code
2. ignorance

<!-- COMMENT CODE -->

I <!-- comment --> such things as employer name, location,
and reference -- albeit the references in many cases have
long ago retired (get a letter of reference before walking
out the door the last time). Even though the
<!-- comment --> is hidden text to the browser, anyone
looking at the html code can see it. That could be
embarrassing if the <!-- comment --> was less than
flattering. USE CARE WITH <!-- comments --> or,
better, avoid the temptation to embed comments in a file
the world can see (especially prospective employers).

IGNORANCE - Part 1

The html resume is sent as an email attachment. Assuming the
attachment arrives OK -- it should; it is only ascii, after
all -- will the HR/Personnel person know:
(a) how to save the attachment as a ''*.htm''*
(b) to load the attachment into a browser
(c) how to load the attachment into a browser

* Some email applications make you guess at the attachment's
format; always, always, always include in the email cover
letter the type file or file format and, if you want to be
polite, the file size.

IGNORANCE - Part 2

The html resume is sent as part of the email cover letter --
one big file. The addressee needs to know:
(a) to save everything from the <html> line to the </html>
line to a new file called ''something.htm''
(b) items (b) and (c) of IGNORANCE - Part 1.

Apologies for rambling.

John Glenn
<http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8836/JOHNGLEN.HTM>