Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?

Subject: Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:38:22 -0800

>>David Castro wrote:
>>
>>I recall resumes being covered on this list previously, but I don't
>>recall ever seeing posts asking for hiring manager expectations for
>>technical writer resumes. So, a question to you technical writing
>>managers out there: If I knew I was applying at a company that has its
>>technical writing manager review resumes/hire writers, what should I put
>>down, and what should I leave out? I presume that this would differ from
>>how I would construct a resume if I knew that HR would be hiring, but
>>maybe not?

The one bit of information that I always look for and seldom find is the
types of products you've worked on. This leaves me with a gaping hole where
my perception of your experience should be. It does me no good to know you've
written user manuals and installation guides using Word or FrameMaker when I
don't know what products you've documented. User manuals for programming
languages are not the same beasties as user manuals for games, user manuals
for business accounting applications... Lots of people think the company
name reveals this, but it doesn't always.

Apart from this, the resume should be brief, error free, and *accurate*.
During the last round of hiring, I discarded several resumes that otherwise
showed some relevant experience. One listed dBase as an operating system;
another put UNIX under application software.

Breaking out of the standard resume mold also helps me to notice you.
Sorry, but the standard chronological resume is *bor-ring* and wading thru
a big stack of them is a drag. Format and arrange the information so that
your skill set stands out and everything is easily skim-able and you'll
catch my attention every time.

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com