Re: Browser-specific HTML

Subject: Re: Browser-specific HTML
From: Mary McCauley-Stiff <Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- STRATUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:22:24 -0500

Chet,

> I'm working on a simple to way to write for any browser you want, and
> let the reader determine how to view it. It requires a simple cgi >
script and the freeware SGML parser NSGMLS, but it is not too >
difficult to do. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to explain in >
detail.

I saw your posting in techwr-l. Could you please explain in more detail
what you are doing? Are you talking about writing HTML so it's
presentable on any browser?

I'm currently writing HTML-based help, but am avoiding using Microsoft
extensions, Netscape extensions, or HTML 3.2 because our HTML is going
to be viewed with an HTML viewer written in Java (so you can use the
HTML viewer no matter what the platform is). The HTML viewer can only
interpret HTML 2.0.

We're pretty determined not to use a browser to present our help, but
your idea sounds interesting. I would appreciate any info you could pass
along.

Thanks,
Mary McCauley-Stiff
Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- stratus -dot- com
marym-s -at- mindspring -dot- com