Hours per page

Subject: Hours per page
From: "M. David Orr" <whitears -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:02:16 -0600

Our company develops computer documentation and training for
clients--both MIS and retail software. We use the following guidelines
for user manuals and other printed documentation.

* 1 week per 250 pages for research and design (may vary depending on
number of writers and source of information. Assumes system that is 80%
functional and readility available SMEs.)

* 45 minutes to 1 hour per page for rough draft (user manuals, more for
highly technical manuals)

* another 45 minute to 1 hour per page for remaining drafts (user
manuals)

* about 1 hour per screen for online help adapted from existing
documentation (includes debugging); 2.5 hours per screen if written
from scratch

* if there are multiple writers requiring project management, we add 10%
to 20% to project estimates.

* if all information comes from SME's, hours per page can go up to 3 to
4 hours

* more than 10% to 20% draft changes due to system changes affects the
totals proportionately

* usability testing done at a first draft stage may increase second
draft time slightly, but reduce overall costs and eliminate design
flaws.

--
M. David Orr
Orr & Associates/Usability Management