Re: How not to attract staff!

Subject: Re: How not to attract staff!
From: John Posada <jposada -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:13:45 -0500

It's funny..simply becuase of that intro, I read further. I happen to do
proposals and RFP responses exclusively and that's what I want to do. Part of
the attraction for me is the tension and the feeliing that you get when a 400
page document goes out in three weeks representing 5 pounds of sweat, blood and
tears. Maybe it's the adrenaline, but to me, Tech Writer Hell would be to
stare at a 2,000 page document for 18 months. I mean, really, how long can you
agonize whether to use insure or ensure (just pick one and get on with it). I
WANT to be strung so tight that I vibrate, 3 weeks and 180 hours later, it's on
to a new challenge.

John Posada
Central NJ Employment Manager - Technical Proposal Writer
STC - Bellcore
http://stc.org/region2/njc/ - (908) 699-5839

jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com (work)
http://www.bellcore.com (work)

jposada -at- injersey -dot- com (personal)
http://nj5.injersey.com (personal)

"If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a
person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime."
Vice President Dan Quayle 10/13/92
I don't speak for my employer and they return the favor

From a recent post to the list, in which Alias/Wavefront
was seeking technical writers: <<Looking for a comfortable
9-5 workday, light work load, no stress? Look elsewhere.
But if you want to create technical documentation you can
be proud of, read on.>>

Is it just me, or is this an invitation to trash the
message without reading further? I currently have a
comfortable (mostly) 9-5 workday, acceptable work load, and
little stress... and have no desire to work elsewhere. Oh,
and BTW, Management supports us enough to wish us a happy
life outside of work and to provide adequate resources for
the stuff we must do _at_ work, and we still produce
reports (and soon, documentation) that we're proud of.
Maybe another coffee (or a quick Dilbert fix) would help me
understand this ad...