Re: How not to attract staff!

Subject: Re: How not to attract staff!
From: Dawn Langley <CDLangley -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:47:34 -0500

In a message dated 97-02-13 15:32:33 EST, someone writes:

<< Looking for a comfortable 9-5 workday, light work load, no stress? Look
elsewhere. But if you want to create technical documentation you can be proud
of, read on.>> >>

I translated the ad two ways: "Don't call us and we won't call you," and
"Slackards Need Not Apply." I have no problem with employers using scare
tactics to thwart responses from an unwanted segment of the jobless faction,
but I do take umbrage with the last statement. The tacit message is that
putting in a mere 8 hrs. a day on a stressless job with a light workload is
tantamount to "mediocre" technical documentation at best. I would assume that
the best technical documention is produced under the optimal conditions the
author denounces in his ad...optimal conditions he admittedly cannot provide
a prospective employee.

Dawn Langley, MA
http://members.aol.com/cdlangley/techcomm/dawn.htm