Re: Platform of Choice

Subject: Re: Platform of Choice
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:17:52 -0800

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 00:30:39 +0900, Rodney A. Hoiseth wrote:

>I've been lurking in the shadows of this list for a few weeks now and I
>have a naive question:

I see this question has generated a lot of responses since it was
posted, oh... earlier today.

> Is there any particular reason the list presumes the use of Windows?

Simple: almost everyone ASSumes everyone else uses Windows. I think it
stems from the fact that most PCs come with/came with Windoze and most
people just automatically associate PC=Windows.

>I don't have an axe to grind. I'm just curious about the significance of
>comments such as [nothing personal, authors :-]:
>
> "Many of my users are not computer or Windows-proficient."

I'm very computer-proficient -- have been for years -- but have only
recently become Windows-proficient as necessitated by my jobs.

> "Sometimes I guess Microsoft is right..."

Gates was right in his COMDEX'91 keynote address when he said that OS/2
was destined to be "the platform of the 90's" :-)

> "Experience: Must be proficient in using MS windows applications...."

"Smith & Wesson -- the original point-and-click interface."

> "I'll be giving a presentation at the Winhelp conference ."

Ever wonder WHY there are so many "help" conferences for Windows?

> "If you are using MS-Windows, change your default printer to ...."

If you aren't using MS-Windows, then you don't have to do anything
extra. :)

>Do these indicate a prevalence of problems with MS & Windows, lack of use
>of other OS's, preference for the Microsoft platform, or what?

Little of everything, I think. Windows is more of a de facto standard
than a standard of choice, since Microsoft's (now-illegal) bundling
deals with DOS/Win3x.

>In other words, what's the Platform of Choice for the users on this list --
>DOS, Windows, Mac, Unix, other, ...?

Warped and lovin' it here...

Your friend and mine,
Matt