Re: Platform of choice

Subject: Re: Platform of choice
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:47:05 -0800

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:29:01 -1000, David Jones wrote:

>One minor matter of timing had a big impact on OS/2 getting going. It
>came out at a time when memory prices were at an all time high ...
>Which made switching to OS/2 a very expensive proposition.
>
>>From someone happily running OS/2 since v2.1.

I guess there's one thing we CAN thank Windows 95 for: the plunge in
memory prices back to a reasonable level. Anticipating the 70 million
or so predicted upgrades to Windows 95 within its first three months,
all levels of the buying chain stocked up on RAM and even upped the
prices a bit, little dollar signs popping up in their eyes, fuelled by
95's increased memory demands.

The rest, of course, is history: sales were dismally below
expectations, the market was glutted with RAM, and prices plummetted
from $50/meg to $15/meg within less than a month (they've finally
stabilized around $10, last time I checked...)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>