Trouble with incorporating...

Subject: Trouble with incorporating...
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:05:57 -0600

Dana Mackonis wrote about problems since she (he?)
incorporated her business. Dana, I'm in Canada, so I
wouldn't know an IRS 1099 if it bit me... but I _can_
suggest a quick fix that will help you at least get back
some of the business you lost: wear your "Dana Inc." hat
when you find your own business prospects, and simply apply
as "Dana NonInc." when you want to work through an agency.
You may have to do some gymnastics around tax time (e.g.,
file separate corporate and "freelance" returns), but at
least you won't be losing business because of a brain-dead
IRS ruling. And once you get a job via an agency, go after
the same customer as "Dana Inc." as soon as your
noncompetition agreement with the agency lapses.