Re: Space, the final frontier

Subject: Re: Space, the final frontier
From: Kevin Montgomery <kmontgomery -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:18:41 -0800

>This is a query about work environments, just because I'm interested in
>learning under what physical (environmental) conditions other tech
>writers... find themselves employed.

My working environment is probably the biggest reason I still work where I
do. I have a private 12' x 18' office. The 12' window at my right shoulder
gives a sixth-floor view to the north over UC San Diego and east to
Palomar Mountain. At least four kinds of hawks soar over the fields below
or ride the office building's wake. It's very quiet unless I choose to
play the radio softly. My SMEs are in similar offices along the hall on
both sides of me. Coffee and a refrigerator are twenty feet from my door.
I have a small printer in my office and a production printer twenty feet
away. Phone is at my right hand, pictures of kids are scattered over my
desk and the big worktable, Guatemalan weaving hangs on the wall, and a
cardboard cutout of Bill Clinton stands in the corner.

In a competitive market, working conditions are a powerful recruiting and
retention tool. I've never regretted turning down more money to keep these
wonderful working conditions. (BTW, the money isn't bad either!)

-Kevin Montgomery, Happy Camper