Re: Platform of choice

Subject: Re: Platform of choice
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 15:31:27 -0600

>Mike, List,
>
>give it a rest please! ;-<
>
>Carry this on off-list some place... the os wars... the browser wars...
>it is not TECHWR-L material... isn't there an unmoderated list some
>place you can fight this out on...
>
>By the way... when loading up the guns for a war about OS' and techie
>stuff... don't get your facts "wrong" OLE did what you claimed only
>Active X brought to MS Windows apps... and it did it before VBA.

Give a rest? Not yet. This has been the most interesting conversation
I've seen on this list in a couple of months (warmed-over or not). I've
learned more about the advantages/disadvantages of platforms and their
effects on Tech Writing technology in a couple of hours than I've
learned in years. The tracing of who started windows has been
fascinating. It may not be nouns and verbs, but even a carpenter will
discuss, compare, and argue his/her tools.

I've also heard from people who didn't realize that they could run one
package from within another (which proved my previous guess on Frame as
incorrect). As a result of the "hashing out" in this forum, they have
newly-discovered techniques at their disposal.

Personally, I've never claimed that Microsoft was first, just first with
an effective marketing approach. My part in the 'holy war' is in
response to what was a venting of a personal dislike of MS guised as an
answer to a public question. The venting implied that anyone using MS
uses it because they have to or that they are mindless sheep. I
responded with a venting in favor of MS software. Please don't tell me
that venting is only allowed if it is anti-MicroSoft.

Mike Wing