Re: Platform of choice

Subject: Re: Platform of choice
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:12:02 -0800

Mike Wing wrote:

>>Pioneering a technology is one thing. Developing it and bringing it
>>successfully to market is another. It looks like developing and
>>controlling the market in operating systems were IBM's, Sun's, Apple's,
>>and Next's to lose. They did!

And jhfrazer commented:

>Don't think the reason is unfathomable. Gates is not the most creative
>genius in the history of the world, but is the consummate marketer of his
>products. He doesn't originate; he duplicates, then sells the product
>with an often brilliant marketing strategy.

The following is an excerpt from this morning's San Jose Mercury-News:
<snip>
Informix expatriates speak out

Oracle employees tell why they jumped ship

BY JODI MARDESICH
Mercury News Staff Writer

Oracle Corp. put a new spin on its trade-secrets battle with Informix Corp. by
encouraging the employees who jumped ship to speak out for the first time on
how the messy
affair has affected their lives.

And what they said, not surprisingly, didn't paint a very pretty picture of
their former Menlo
Park-based employer. ``I think Oracle is a stronger company and better
managed,'' said
David Clay, one of 11 Informix engineers who joined arch-rival Oracle late last
month. ``Its research and development organization is run by engineers
rather than marketing
people.''

Published Tuesday, February 11, 1997, in the San Jose Mercury News
</snip>

From the engineer's point of view - BAD
Fromthe stockholder's point of view - GOOD

--Wayne Douglass