Re[2]: Platform of Choice

Subject: Re[2]: Platform of Choice
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:55:23 -0500

Just an amusing and quite possibly irrelevant observation:

This passage:

It's not really a naieve question - but I'll bet if you poll the
assembled multitude, you'll find that 80% of us (in the software biz,
anyway) earn our pay working on MS Windows related products.

was followed by a chart showing that 50%, not 80%, of the shops he had
direct experience with used Windows. One more case of popular wisdom
bearing only a coincidental relationship to reality? ;{>}

Then this follows:

I'll bet this ratio holds for most of you (although I doubt many of
you have worked on NeXT...)

meaning he bets that for most people the 80% figure he just used won't hold
up.

I think "Windows" is becoming like "Kleenex" - almost a generic term
for "windowing GUI system".

I'm sure you'll hear from MS-Laywers (TM) about that one. ;{>}

As for me, I'm only particular about which tool *I* use, not about what
platform I deliver on. Like any craftsman, I know what my tools can do, and
go with the tools which best fit my hand without compromising the job
requirements (while a Marples chisel might feel more comfortable in my hand
than a Sears screwdriver, I wouldn't use the Marples to drive screws).
Wherever possible, I use a Mac, because it's the tool that fits my hand the
best. I've been known to develop the docs on a Mac, then save to a PC
format for someone who needs it accessible under Windows. I doubt, however,
that I'd develop WinHelp files on a Mac. ;{>}

<sitting back and waiting for the religious war to erupt.>

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224