Multimedia Consensus

Subject: Multimedia Consensus
From: Tom Obenchain <Tom -dot- Obenchain -at- MCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:02:00 -0700

>>Why would I rather used PDF over HTML?

>David Blyth responded:

> o PDF provides better copyright protection (is not writeable by user)
>
> o PDF has a well-developed set of support tools
>
> o PDF displays exactly as a hard copy, so is easier for a TW to learn.
>
> o PDF has a sexier page appearance than HTML.
>
> o It's easier to create a single PDF file representing the entire doc.

I'd like to add that in my organization one of the requirements for
online docs is effective online distribution, not just online viewing.
PDF allows a user to view and then print a useable paper copy of the
document. PDF retains the original table of contents.

While HTML works well for online viewing, good luck navigating an HTML
document once you print it.

Tom Obenchain