Incorporation Blues

Subject: Incorporation Blues
From: "Dana B. Mackonis" <writer -at- JLC -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:35:30 -0500

This may be more directed to folks that write for companies other than
periodicals or publishers, but maybe not.

I just incorporated my business and am runnng into problems big time
with getting work now. First let me explain that I write primarily technical
manuals, courses, etc. for high tech companies. I get 90% of my contracts
thru agencies. The agencies will pay you on a W2 basis or on a 1099 if
you have a Tax-ID or are a corporation. I am now finding that many of the
agencies have revised their bookkeeping and will only pay a valid corporation
on a 1099 basis if that company has more than 2 employees.

This is discrimination as far as I can see. If I was married and paid my wife
thru this account, half my earnings for some bogus editing jobs she does for
me, I am a valid corporation. But if I run a one mad dog and pony show,
I am not legitimate.

Has anyone run into this? I am really mad about this whole process.

I am located in New Hampshire and working in the greater Boston area.
dana b mackonis '-.-' writer -at- jlc -dot- net