Re: "Space, the Final Frontier!"

Subject: Re: "Space, the Final Frontier!"
From: Yvonne DeBellotte <ydebell -at- DAR -dot- DAR -dot- EMORY -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 08:33:47 EST5EDT

Dawn writes:

> << Do you find that your work space affects your output or morale?>>
>
> It would be interesting to discover if the etiology of work space conditions
> on morale and output is more physical or emotional in origin. For example,
> the following two negative responses differ in nature: "I can't work in this
> cramped cubicle; I don't have enough room to spread out my documents!" "If
> only I had worked harder, I would have received that promotion along with a
> bigger office...one with a window!!" I would posit that, for the majority,
> the negative (or positive) effects of work space are more closely linked to
> feelings of physical discomfort and constraint, but one shouldn't discount
> any theories that may be related to emotional concerns. Afterall, work space
> environments are standard reflections of status and prestige.
>
> Coincidentally, I recall reading a study in an old psychology textbook which
> revealed workers worked more efficiently after peppermint had been sprayed in
> their work space.
>
> Dawn
> http://members.aol.com/cdlangley/techcomm/dawn.htm

I don't know about the peppermint, but how anyone can
work in a 2x2 space is beyond me. I have to have room
the spread out my work so that I can not only see what
I am doing but also to feel that I am somewhat organized
in the process.

If everything is in a huddle I cannot find it when asked
for it. If it is spread in neat little piles I can find it within
30-seconds.

Yvonne DeBellotte