Re: Contracting moral dilemma

Subject: Re: Contracting moral dilemma
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- ODVTEWS1 -dot- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:12:01 +0000

Fabien Vais wrote:

> I am really shocked to see that I was the only person who suggested to David
> to reduce the estimated amount of money needed to complete the job. And by
> the way, I never said to *give back* any money. David had only received an
> initial deposit for the job. I only said that he should (or at least I
> would) adjust the estimate and tell the client that after careful
> examination of the material, the job would not take as long as expected
> (nothing to do with the difficulty or complexity...) and that because fewer
> hours would be spent on it, the estimated number of hours (and total
> "estimated" amount of money) would be reduced appropriately.

(snip)
> Perhaps I'm being naive, but I've always preferred honesty. And it has paid
> off several times.

Fabien, I think you're confusing honesty with something else. The
solution many people suggested (don't alter the estimate) is *not*
dishonest because the client is not paying David by the hour. They
asked him how much he would charge for this project. He told them.
He didn't (according to his post) say "well, I usually charge X per
hour, and this will take me about Y hours, so it will cost you
Z." He simply told them he could do the job for Z dollars. They
decided it was worth that amount, so they accepted his offer.
Where exactly is the dishonesty in this scenario?

I think you would have a valid point if the client wanted to pay by
the hour. If he estimated it would take 80 hours and it only took 60,
he would be on shakier moral ground if he decided to bill for 80
hours. But that's not what happened here. He quoted a price for the
job and they accepted that price.

Tracy