What We Call Ourselves

Subject: What We Call Ourselves
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <gfhayhoe -at- SCESCAPE -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 14:09:49 -0500

The act of naming is implicitly powerful. What we call ourselves enables us
to differentiate ourselves from other employees, enhance our clout in the
company, and often add interesting tasks to our responsibilities.

There's been a lot of discussion on the list about whether we're technical
writers or technical communicators. Yesterday, Robert Plamondon remarked,
"The STC never hesitates to call a spade an implement."

Most of us on this list can probably be classified as technical
writers--but not all. Some are editors, indexers, illustrators, designers,
managers, or teachers. Still others don't fit any of those classifications.
But we're all technical communicators.

No disrespect to Robert intended, but not all implements are spades.

--George Hayhoe (gfhayhoe -at- scescape -dot- net)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: 803-642-2156
Fax: 803-642-9325
http://www.scescape.net/~gfhayhoe/index.htm