Re: WWW citation question

Subject: Re: WWW citation question
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 11:49:27 -0600

Melanie Nelson wrote:

> I have a question about citations. I am writing guidelines for our
> company's Internet and Intranet and I have included a glossary. Some
> of the definitions for the glossary have come from the Web and I have
> cited them like this example:
<snip>
> After reviewing my document, my supervisor has suggested that I use
> (Source: Paradesa Media) instead. Is this the right answer? I don't
> recall seeing citations done this way (well, maybe in a magazine or
> two), so I want to make sure before I do it.

Electronic citations need more than just a title if people are ever to
find the sources. Just as citations of printed sources include
information on publishers, citations of Web sources need at least an URL
to be useful.

Janice Walker of the U. of South Florida has compiled a style guide for
electronic sources. The guide is gaining acceptance among teachers of
writing, and it's about to be published in the Columbia Guide to Online
Style.

Check out http://www.cas.usf.edu/english/walker/mla.html for more info.

Good luck,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019