Re: I am Tech Writer

Subject: Re: I am Tech Writer
From: John Fisher <fisher -at- EPIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:37:12 -0800

Pete Kloppenburg writes:

> I describe myself as a writer proudly. It's something people
> recognize immediately, and if your definition of writing is
> broad enough, it covers the range of things we do. The urge
> to rename the profession is essentially a politically correct one:
> it stems from the belief that if you force people to call you what
> you want to be called, they will somehow think better of you.

I don't agree, Pete. I think we're missing a larger
issue. There are other forms of communication than
writing, and I don't think, in our business, we should
limit ourselves to only one of the tools. The title "Writer"
tends to do that. I feel this holds true for your reluctant
suggestion of "documentation developer" as well. In this
case, "documentation" being the limiting word.

True, they're just words, but words have strength, and
they are known to encourage mindsets. I too, have liked
being known as a writer, but I've learned that's only
part of my job, and my skillset.

Yikes! Maybe that was more than two cents worth.

John Fisher
EPIC Design Technology, Inc.
Sunnyvale, CA
fisher -at- epic -dot- com