grammar: "types of ____(s)"?

Subject: grammar: "types of ____(s)"?
From: Stan Swaren <SSwaren -at- MICROSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:08:11 -0500

We've got a debate going here at work. Which of the following phrases
is correct?

"...types of document"
"...types of documents"

To put it in context: "What types of document(s) can I find in the
electronic repository?"

A trip to the dictionary provided us with the model "kinds of sports",
and I assume that "types" follows the same rule. However, my gut
instinct says to go with Plato's forms: there are many chair-instances
but only one true chair.

Who can speak with authority on this one?