Re: White space in manuals

Subject: Re: White space in manuals
From: Dan Azlin <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 01:18:49 -0500

At 17:28 1-31-97 -0800, joanne grey wrote in response to Jeanette Evans,
who wrote:

>> Can anyone provide me with specific references material to support that
>> idea that the use of white space in user documents can help users find
>> information to better complete tasks and recover from errors?
>>
>> Every now and then there are rumblings of resistance to the use of white
>> space in our manuals (gee, why do we need all that white space in our
>> manuals?) and I feel that specific information and citations of this
>> kind could help us justify our use of white space.
>
>I use "Looking Good in Print" (third edition, Roger C. Parker), which
>has quite a few references to white space in all types of documents. I think
>it comes with a CD now, too. It's a very helpful book.
>
>There's another really handy book - "Writing and Speaking in the Technology
>Professions" (IEEE Press, edited by David F. Beer) that has a 3-4 page
section
>on writing design, including use of white space.

Another excellent reference that looks at _why_ white space works (and
other usefull "hows" and "whys") is "Human Factors for Technical
Communicators" by Marlana Coe, ISBN 0-471-03530-0.

- Dan

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
dazlin -at- shore -dot- net 7 Myrtle Street
ph/fax 508-921-8908 Beverly, MA 01915-3315