Re: White space in manuals

Subject: Re: White space in manuals
From: joanne grey <j -dot- grey -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:28:04 -0800

Jeanette Evans wrote:

> Can anyone provide me with specific references material to support that
> idea that the use of white space in user documents can help users find
> information to better complete tasks and recover from errors?
>
> Every now and then there are rumblings of resistance to the use of white
> space in our manuals (gee, why do we need all that white space in our
> manuals?) and I feel that specific information and citations of this
> kind could help us justify our use of white space.

I use "Looking Good in Print" (third edition, Roger C. Parker), which
has quite a few references to white space in all types of documents. I think
it comes with a CD now, too. It's a very helpful book.

There's another really handy book - "Writing and Speaking in the Technology
Professions" (IEEE Press, edited by David F. Beer) that has a 3-4 page section
on writing design, including use of white space.

Hope this helps some.
-joanne