Intuitiveness and Re: Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Light me a Match

Subject: Intuitiveness and Re: Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Light me a Match
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:28:02 EST

No iddn't this a perfect example of what is intuitive and what is not --
Confucius, he say "It all depends."

On Jan 31, 6:32am, Robert Plamondon wrote:

> >if you put the abrasive strip on the back and don't close the box before
> >turning it over to strike, all your matches will fall out. (Your consumer
> >wouldn't be very happy.) So that design wouldn't work very well, would it?
> >However, if you put the strip of the front, you will still have your fire
> >hazard.
>
> That's matchBOOK, not matchBOX. Matches don't fall out of matchbooks,
> because they're physically attached to them and have to be torn out.

[In the vein of looking for new dead quadrapeds to flog:]

My personal belief is that this confusion stems from the fact that we all have
gas cookers with pilot burners or electric cookers and thus seldom need to have
a match*box* handy: smokers are now an endangered species; lighters -- like all
other non-recyclable disposables -- have become the tool of choice for those of
us that still need them; and match*books* take up all the remaining slack in
the market. However, those of us that have lived or live in countries that
still use matchboxes [and a lot of us actually still buy them as an essential
grocery item, believe it or not] still wouldn't know what you are talking about
when you discuss matches falling out -- the abrasive strip(s) is/are on the
side(s) of the box and I, for one, find it almost impossible to light a match
with the box open -- it is just too unwieldy.

Sabahat.

PS Yes, I just had a meeting canceled and am taking it out on y'all.

--
735 Elm Ave Apt 5B sabahata -at- warren -dot- mentorg -dot- com
Teaneck, NJ 07666 www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs

Why can't we all just ... get along?