Re: Document Databases & Intranets (#601741)

Subject: Re: Document Databases & Intranets (#601741)
From: Chet Ensign <censign -at- INTERSERV -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 13:33:57 -0800

Bill Burns wrote on document databases:

>>Developing a workflow system for approvals and notifications can
be a real headache (if you need those features). <<

I'll second that! When you move from ad-hoc workflow systems that live on top
of vanilla file systems (by which I mean everybody keeping a copy of her
documents on her hard drive) to an engineered document management and workflow
system, you suddenly find yourself in the business of trying to get policy
decisions made. Harder than shoveling mud in the middle of the Mississippi.
Some large, bureaucratically enabled organizations have processes and
procedures in place and there it's easy. But most folks find themselves either
making policy on the front lines or getting nothing done, largely because you
have to ask questions that no one every had to ask before, and getting people
to recognize what you are talking about and take it seriously is hard work.

Best regards,

/chet

---
<signature>
Chet Ensign Office: 212-448-2466
Manager of Data Architecture Home: 201-378-3472
Matthew Bender & Company, Inc. Email: censign -at- bender -dot- com
New York, NY
</>