Change Bars & ISO 9000

Subject: Change Bars & ISO 9000
From: R2 Innovations <R2innovations -at- MYNA -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 00:16:03 +0000

The use of change bars is not required by the ISO 9000 series of Quality
Standards. In fact, the standards _do not_ specify how any control
measures are accomplished, but rather only specify that you have
them.

I have been involved with ISO documentation for an aircraft
avionics manufacturer since 1993 and have been in charge of the
Document Management Group of that company since 1994. I have also
just written a book on documenting ISO 9000 titled, "Documenting ISO
9000: Guidelines for Compliant Documentation". To get the details on
obtaining this book, respond to the address at the end of this
message.

One of the problems that business has with the ISO standards is that
they do not tell a company how to do anything, they just set out the
requirements that things are to be done. It is up to companies to
determine how they will meet the requirements, and then document
those methods.

I agree that change bars are a real pain, and they definitely detract
from the overall appearance of the documentation. At our company we
make use of revision sheets that detail the revisions to engineering
documents. For our ISO documentation, we detail what procedure has
been changed on the memo of notification for hard copy documentation,
and in a revision screen with a pop-up link to a detailed description
of the change for our online documentation (we are transitioning to a
full online system at this time).

If anyone requires further info on ISO, please contact me at:
r2innovations -at- myna -dot- com

Ralph