Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION

Subject: Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:27:29 +0000

On 21 Jan 97 at 11:18, Allen Judd wrote:

> My company prints service manuals for all of our products to be used
> by service techs. The service techs that use these manuals are
> wondering if they have the latest revision of the manual. Does
> anyone have an idea of how a printed manual can be marked so that a
> user can tell if it is the latest revision?
>
> Thanks,
> Al
> ajudd -at- efjohnson -dot- com

Sure, just insert your date (and time, too, if you want that much
detail) into your heading or footer as a field code. You don't
mention which word processor you're using, but Word does this very
handily. I'm sure most other word processors would also do it.

Now....drum roll.... be advised that very time you print, the field
code updates and prints the current date, which may or may not be the
actual revision date. If you want an absolutely accurate revision
date, you will probably need to devise some kind of scheme to
manually change the date....in other words, don't insert it as a
field code. Just insert it as a regular text string.

Jane Bergen

"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com