Writing as a Process

Subject: Writing as a Process
From: "Sullivan, John" <jsulliva -at- WESTBORO -dot- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:27:05 -0800

Just a comment on Karen's posting:

>My 5 y.o. daughter's school has a writing program that I found very
> interesting, so I decided to share it with you.

>The school is K-12, and they use this process in *every* class, with
>varying levels of sophistication. The system was created by Katie
>Johnson. She goes into a lot more detail in her books.

It's nice to see this approach being used for such young children. How
many of us have nasty memories of one-draft papers being returned covered
with red marks? Using a process approach gets kids used to the reality
that a good portion of "writing" goes on before anything is actually
committed to paper.

These procedures, like most such process-oriented writing strategies,
have their roots in Aristotle (although he was dealing with speaking, not
writing). Adapting them for use in K-12 is a great idea.

John Sullivan
Documentation Manager
Concentric Data Systems
Westborough MA