Writing as a Process - for kindergartners and others

Subject: Writing as a Process - for kindergartners and others
From: KAREN_OTTO -at- HP-SPOKANE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:55:58 -0700

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
My 5 y.o. daughter's school has a writing program that I found very
interesting, so I decided to share it with you.

The school is K-12, and they use this process in *every* class, with
varying levels of sophistication. The system was created by Katie
Johnson. She goes into a lot more detail in her books.

**********************
Writing as a Process

Prewriting: getting ideas, thinking, talking, choosing topics,
webbing/outlining/clustering

Drafting: putting ideas down, getting text onto paper, getting started
with writing

Revising: thinking/talking about how the piece sounds, what works for
the reader, what detail/additions/changes would make it clearer

Editing: working on how the piece looks, on punctuation, spelling, the
conventions of English

Publishing: getting the piece ready for the world/getting into
print/sharing
***************************

What I found most interesting is: THIS IS THE SAME PROCESS THAT I USE!
Certainly I spend much more time on the facts, and hopefully my
structures are a *little* more sophisticated, but I do every single
one of these steps.

It's remarkable how this woman has boiled this very common process
down to be understood by kindergartners, and how well it works.
Now I can easily explain to my daughter just exactly what I do every
day.

karen
karen_otto -at- hp -dot- com