Re: A Contractor's Question

Subject: Re: A Contractor's Question
From: Lisa Higgins <lisa -at- DRDDO1 -dot- EI -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:58:03 +0000

David Demyan wrote:

> The client thinks they are buying service from contractor A, while
> contractor A has overbooked and shunted the work to contractor B,
> whom the client has never had the opportunity to consider.

If the client has a problem with this, the client needs to hire
someone either as an employee or through an agency. I suppose that
it's possible to put this in the contract, too, but unless it's
specified, it is the prerogative of the freelancer to complete the
assignment in any way he or she sees fit.

There are many, many cost and other benefits to using a freelancer;
but in exchange for those benefits, you must give up control of how
the work is done. You don't hire a freelancer. You commission work
from her.

> Sorry, I don't like it.

And I don't like companies thinking that they can get away with
sidestepping labor laws by classifying employees as 'freelancers' and
treating freelancers as employees.

Lisa
lisa -at- drddo1 -dot- lucent -dot- com