Re: Alien virus

Subject: Re: Alien virus
From: Brian Lee <Brian_Lee -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 16:53:52 -0800

Hi,

We had a similar problem with the "Concept" virus. Microsoft has since
released a Word template that will scan files on your drive, and installs
macros in the global template that notify you if a document you are opening
contains macros. Filename is "scanprot.dot" and is available from the
Microsoft web site.

I believe at the moment, scanprot only detects "Concept" virus, so it
won't find anything in your files when it scans. However, the protection
macros that it installs should detect the "Alien" macros. If it does,
it will ask if you want to disable the macros. You can then re-save
the file sans macros and it should be clean from there.

We use McAfee, and it's been pretty good at catching macro viruses.
Low-tech solution: go into the infected documents & templates and
delete any unusual macros.

Good Luck,

Brian

Subject: Alien virus
Author: Ron Rothbart <ron -dot- rothbart -at- DOCUMENTUM -dot- COM> at SMTP
Date: 1/16/97 5:45 PM

I also believe there are three new macros in my Word documents called
AutoClose, AutoOpen, and FileSaveAs.

So far, no virus scan that we have tried detects this as a virus.

Anyone else seen this?