Citing Sources

Subject: Citing Sources
From: Michael Barwick <mbarwick -at- RCI -dot- ROGERS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 16:59:00 -0500

Hi everybody!

It has been gratifying to see that my question regarding alternative
titles for technical writers spawned quite a range of discussion.
Thanks to everybody who generously supplied me with suggestions. My
supervisor got a real kick out of them! I'll let you know what the
powers-that-be decide . . .

In the meantime, I have a question regarding the citing of sources.
What are everyone's thoughts on this matter? Hypothetically, if a
technical writer draws on another document for information in a manual,
is it sufficient to supply a bibliography with the manual or does every
individual fact need to be cited in some way? How have other people
dealt with this kind of situation? I must say that I have yet to
encounter footnotes in a manual or in technical reference material but
then I haven't been at this long enough to say with confidence that my
experience is definitive.

Curious to read your thoughts on this matter,

Michael Barwick
(mbarwick -at- rci -dot- rogers -dot- com)