Re: Zip drives - important tip

Subject: Re: Zip drives - important tip
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:02:42 -0800

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 08:14:01 -0500, Thom Remington wrote:

>Important: Be sure there's a Zip disk in the drive when you start the machine!
>
>My machine here won't recognize the drive on startup unless there's a disk
>in it.

That's odd; I don't think I've ever once run into that problem.

>Overall, I like the Zip drives, but they can be difficult to set up; I've
>had more trouble making the SCSI cards work than making the drives
>themselves work.

Have to agree there -- for my home system, I just inserted a SCSI ZIP
drive into the external SCSI chain (along with a tape drive and
CD-ROM), rebooted, and there it was, showing up as a standard
removeable drive under OS/2. I had to install the ZIP filter file to
be able to use the ZIP tools (format, lock, write-protect disks, etc.)
but could access it without.

On DOS and Win95 machines, it's always been as simple as just plugging
in the parallel drive and running GUEST or GUEST95, and I've done it on
at least a couple dozen machines...

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

Master of puppets, I'm pulling your strings
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream...
MASTER! MASTER!
-Metallica, "Master of Puppets"