Re: Having Writers Block

Subject: Re: Having Writers Block
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 08:42:29 +0000

On 17 Jan 97 at 8:40, Yvonne DeBellotte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need some information since I am new to the freelance writers
> scene.
>
> 1. Where can I get an estimated price list so I know what I can
> charge for various types of writing?

You don't say where you live, but try your local STC chapter. They
may have a PIC (Professional Interest Committee) for independent
contractors. Also, Writer's Digest has some rates listed for various
types of writing. Caution here, though.... the rates do not take into
consideration the geographical area nor the interest area (what kind
of technical writing you are doing...how much subject knowledge is
required, etc.).

> 2. Also what is a 'tear sheet'? Is it the same as a writing
> sample?

Generally is a tear sheet is a page that showcases something you've
written. It is the actual published page, not a typewritten draft.
But I've not heard this term used for technical writing. Usually tear
sheets are for writers who publish in magazines, etc. although I
suppose it could apply to technical publications.

Good luck.

Jane Bergen
"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer